Valid Documents

To legally sell number plates we must be provided with two types of documents:

  • Identification (Proof of Address)
  • Entitlement to the Registration

If You Are Ordering A Private Registration:

  • If you are buying only a private registration, no proof documents are required.
  • If you are purchasing number plates with your private registration, we require a proof of address document, which can be sent digitally. This can be in your own name, even if you are buying the private registration as a gift.
  • If using our Done-For-You Transfer Service, we need a photo of the front cover of the V5C Logbook. You will be guided through this after your purchase.

If You Are Ordering Number Plates:

At Utopia Plates, we adhere strictly to legal requirements to ensure the legitimacy and security of your number plate purchase. Understanding which documents are acceptable and how they should be provided is crucial for a smooth and legal transaction.

The ID document you provide does not need to match the entitlement document; this is because the laws permit buying number plates as a gift. The ID document can be in your own name, whilst the proof of entitlement is in the name of the recipient, for example.

Digital Original Documents

Certain documents can be sent via email in their digital original form (i.e., as a PDF file).

Proof of Address (dated within the last 6 months):

  • Utility (Gas/Electric/Water) Bill
  • Telephone or Internet Bill
  • Bank Statement

Proof of Entitlement:

  • An electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948)
  • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate
  • If your fleet is in the new V5C on demand scheme (also called ‘V5C suppression’), a PDF of the vehicle’s details from the view vehicle record service

Physical Original Documents

For all other documents, physical originals are required and must be sent via post. It is important to note that any company not adhering to these rules is operating illegally and should not be trusted.

If you're not local to County Durham, simply post your documents to us. We'll guide you through the process after your order. We'll produce your number plates and send them back with your documents securely via Royal Mail Tracked delivery.

Proof of Address

You can use the following to confirm your name and address:

  • Utility bill, Telephone bill, Council Tax bill or rates bill from the last 6 months
  • Bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
  • Driving Licence (Photo-card or paper counterpart)
  • National Identity Card

Registration Entitlement

You can use the following to confirm your Registration Entitlement:

  • Vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
  • New keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
  • Certificate of entitlement to the number (V750 or V750NI)
  • Retention document (V778)
  • A renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
  • Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • A number plate authorisation certificate with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) - (V948)

Have more questions? Contact us